Xossip

Go Back Xossip > Technology> Technical Help & Tutorials > 5+ yrs exp., graphics card eye strain

Old 23rd December 2016
Requiescat In Pace

mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
UL: 3.89 gb DL: 3.34 gb Ratio: 1.16
Arrow 5+ yrs exp., graphics card eye strain

Greetings,

After being really patient for a very long time and trying out multiple solutions, I am now forced to seek advise here.

I've been using graphics cards (earlier Radeon HD 5770 and recently GTX 750 Ti), and have found that there is substantial increase in eye strain due to their usage. I've noticed this long back and over the course of 5+ years have tried multiple solutions to no avail. I'll now list down in detail all the steps I've taken to solve this issue, but all of the below steps have NOT been able to resolve this issue:

1. Got my original card (2011) HD 5770 RMA'd. This thread -- http://www.xossip.com/showthread.php...236&highlight=

2. Changed my monitor from Dell to Samsung SyncMaster S22B370 (with 2 ms response time)

3. Changed my PSU from some local one to Corsair (in case if somehow the power supply might have led to malfunctioning cards)

4. Already tried all steps for monitor calibration, monitor driver installation, graphics card driver update and rollback (I even switch to linux mint and even in that OS same issue was seen).

5. I use high quality belkin HDMI cable (but even for VGA cable this issue was seen)

6. Only thing I've NOT done extensively is play around with monitor refresh rate (60/59/50 hertz, but doubt it will change anything). Lowering down the resolution seems to help a bit (but very little).

I am not sure what else can I do. Only thing left out now is to change the UPS or the motherboard (I use Gigabyte, does that board coupled with ATI or NVIDIA cards makes display harder on eyes?).

I'll add more details. When the card is inserted the blacks become a little more black and whites a little more white (this is very subtle and an untrained eye may miss it). Over the course of 35-45 minutes, you begin to feel the stress on eyes. Be advised that I've been using PCs for 15+ years now, and only with graphics card I find this eye strain problem. I use very high quality prescription glasses as I am short sighted so doubt there is anything wrong with my eyes (even a friend of mine said your display is causing eye strain). Nothing is wrong with card performance and games work perfectly fine. Also note that this eye strain happens even when you are not playing the game (so game FPS rate or other graphics setting is ruled out).

Please suggest what can be done? Is an even bigger display required?

Please help. The only option I am left with is to take break every hour or so (which I don't have to do while looking at PC monitors without graphics card).

Regards.

Last edited by mst_i : 23rd December 2016 at 06:25 PM.

Old 24th December 2016
aka platform

swon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
UL: 308.22 mb DL: 33.28 mb Ratio: 9.26
have you checked your thyroid levels? hypothyroidism can give dry eye symptoms so get checked for it. do a simple thyroid function blood test or TFT to rule out it.

also even if the problem is computer then focus on monitor only. get a eye friendly monitor one which have matte finish to reduce reflections, antiglare coating etc. dell monitor in starting range doesn't care much about this part and if you are using such models then need to replace it.

Old 24th December 2016
aka platform

swon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
dell U2417h is a good monitor with matte finish and great screen quality though expensive around 25k but good if you are planning to take dell one.

BenQ GW2470H is budget one though screen quality average its eye friendly with matte finish priced around 11k.

Old 24th December 2016
Requiescat In Pace

mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swon View Post
have you checked your thyroid levels? hypothyroidism can give dry eye symptoms so get checked for it. do a simple thyroid function blood test or TFT to rule out it.

also even if the problem is computer then focus on monitor only. get a eye friendly monitor one which have matte finish to reduce reflections, antiglare coating etc. dell monitor in starting range doesn't care much about this part and if you are using such models then need to replace it.
Quote:
dell U2417h is a good monitor with matte finish and great screen quality though expensive around 25k but good if you are planning to take dell one.

BenQ GW2470H is budget one though screen quality average its eye friendly with matte finish priced around 11k.
Hi, thank you for the reply. As I've mentioned this happens only when a graphics card is used and not on regular use, hence doubt that any medical test is needed.

Also, why would the monitor otherwise not provide any glare and only do so when a graphics card is inserted?

Old 24th December 2016
aka platform

if the prob occur in all graphics card then card is not likely the problem. this can also occur due to less refresh rates, high brightness, more blue light (can occur especially if monitor is old one).

anyway rule out thyroid issues its easy and nowadays routine checkup like testing sugar, cholesterol etc. if want to cut cost of checkup then only need to do the TSH test.

also if monitor is pretty old one then replace it with eye friendly one. benq range monitors are really good ones in this regard. they have flicker free feature, low blue light mode (after ultra violet rays blue light is next harmful rays for eye) and newer models even have auto brightness mode. also choose a black matte finish one including body. glossy ones avoid.

Old 27th December 2016
Requiescat In Pace

Arrow

Quote:
if the prob occur in all graphics card then card is not likely the problem. this can also occur due to less refresh rates, high brightness, more blue light (can occur especially if monitor is old one).

anyway rule out thyroid issues its easy and nowadays routine checkup like testing sugar, cholesterol etc. if want to cut cost of checkup then only need to do the TSH test.

also if monitor is pretty old one then replace it with eye friendly one. benq range monitors are really good ones in this regard. they have flicker free feature, low blue light mode (after ultra violet rays blue light is next harmful rays for eye) and newer models even have auto brightness mode. also choose a black matte finish one including body. glossy ones avoid.
Thank you.

Any other possible causes apart from those stated above.

Old 28th December 2016
aka platform

i again repeat test your thyroid function, dry eyes is the starting symptom especially among computer users. its easy to misdiagnose for many years at beginning. going to eye doctor or replacing computer components not usually give relief if its related to thyroid. and yes it only occurs when using computer or more profound when use dedicated graphics card as eyes need to workout more.

Old 1st January 2017
Requiescat In Pace

Quote:
i again repeat test your thyroid function, dry eyes is the starting symptom especially among computer users. its easy to misdiagnose for many years at beginning. going to eye doctor or replacing computer components not usually give relief if its related to thyroid. and yes it only occurs when using computer or more profound when use dedicated graphics card as eyes need to workout more.
Thank you, would do the same.

Mod(s) may please close this thread.

Old 1st January 2017
aka platform

hi, please update your thyroid results (TSH value) as it will be useful to others who experiencing same.

also the reference range given might not be correct usually then give .5 to 5.0 but actually normal range is in between .3 to 3