Xossip

Go Back Xossip > Technology> Technical Help & Tutorials > 5+ yrs exp., graphics card eye strain

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 23rd December 2016
mst_i's Avatar
mst_i mst_i is offline
Requiescat In Pace
 
Join Date: 3rd January 2006
Location: City 17
Posts: 2,529
Rep Power: 29 Points: 859
mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
UL: 3.89 gb DL: 3.34 gb Ratio: 1.16
Arrow 5+ yrs exp., graphics card eye strain

Greetings,

After being really patient for a very long time and trying out multiple solutions, I am now forced to seek advise here.

I've been using graphics cards (earlier Radeon HD 5770 and recently GTX 750 Ti), and have found that there is substantial increase in eye strain due to their usage. I've noticed this long back and over the course of 5+ years have tried multiple solutions to no avail. I'll now list down in detail all the steps I've taken to solve this issue, but all of the below steps have NOT been able to resolve this issue:

1. Got my original card (2011) HD 5770 RMA'd. This thread -- http://www.xossip.com/showthread.php...236&highlight=

2. Changed my monitor from Dell to Samsung SyncMaster S22B370 (with 2 ms response time)

3. Changed my PSU from some local one to Corsair (in case if somehow the power supply might have led to malfunctioning cards)

4. Already tried all steps for monitor calibration, monitor driver installation, graphics card driver update and rollback (I even switch to linux mint and even in that OS same issue was seen).

5. I use high quality belkin HDMI cable (but even for VGA cable this issue was seen)

6. Only thing I've NOT done extensively is play around with monitor refresh rate (60/59/50 hertz, but doubt it will change anything). Lowering down the resolution seems to help a bit (but very little).

I am not sure what else can I do. Only thing left out now is to change the UPS or the motherboard (I use Gigabyte, does that board coupled with ATI or NVIDIA cards makes display harder on eyes?).

I'll add more details. When the card is inserted the blacks become a little more black and whites a little more white (this is very subtle and an untrained eye may miss it). Over the course of 35-45 minutes, you begin to feel the stress on eyes. Be advised that I've been using PCs for 15+ years now, and only with graphics card I find this eye strain problem. I use very high quality prescription glasses as I am short sighted so doubt there is anything wrong with my eyes (even a friend of mine said your display is causing eye strain). Nothing is wrong with card performance and games work perfectly fine. Also note that this eye strain happens even when you are not playing the game (so game FPS rate or other graphics setting is ruled out).

Please suggest what can be done? Is an even bigger display required?

Please help. The only option I am left with is to take break every hour or so (which I don't have to do while looking at PC monitors without graphics card).

Regards.
______________________________
Do visit, rate and rep my Gaming News thread.

Last edited by mst_i : 23rd December 2016 at 06:25 PM.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24th December 2016
swon's Avatar
swon swon is offline
aka platform
 
Join Date: 13th August 2010
Location: platform
Posts: 6,706
Rep Power: 27 Points: 6508
swon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
UL: 308.22 mb DL: 33.28 mb Ratio: 9.26
have you checked your thyroid levels? hypothyroidism can give dry eye symptoms so get checked for it. do a simple thyroid function blood test or TFT to rule out it.

also even if the problem is computer then focus on monitor only. get a eye friendly monitor one which have matte finish to reduce reflections, antiglare coating etc. dell monitor in starting range doesn't care much about this part and if you are using such models then need to replace it.
______________________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24th December 2016
swon's Avatar
swon swon is offline
aka platform
 
Join Date: 13th August 2010
Location: platform
Posts: 6,706
Rep Power: 27 Points: 6508
swon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
UL: 308.22 mb DL: 33.28 mb Ratio: 9.26
dell U2417h is a good monitor with matte finish and great screen quality though expensive around 25k but good if you are planning to take dell one.

BenQ GW2470H is budget one though screen quality average its eye friendly with matte finish priced around 11k.
______________________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24th December 2016
mst_i's Avatar
mst_i mst_i is offline
Requiescat In Pace
 
Join Date: 3rd January 2006
Location: City 17
Posts: 2,529
Rep Power: 29 Points: 859
mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
UL: 3.89 gb DL: 3.34 gb Ratio: 1.16
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swon View Post
have you checked your thyroid levels? hypothyroidism can give dry eye symptoms so get checked for it. do a simple thyroid function blood test or TFT to rule out it.

also even if the problem is computer then focus on monitor only. get a eye friendly monitor one which have matte finish to reduce reflections, antiglare coating etc. dell monitor in starting range doesn't care much about this part and if you are using such models then need to replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swon View Post
dell U2417h is a good monitor with matte finish and great screen quality though expensive around 25k but good if you are planning to take dell one.

BenQ GW2470H is budget one though screen quality average its eye friendly with matte finish priced around 11k.
Hi, thank you for the reply. As I've mentioned this happens only when a graphics card is used and not on regular use, hence doubt that any medical test is needed.

Also, why would the monitor otherwise not provide any glare and only do so when a graphics card is inserted?
______________________________
Do visit, rate and rep my Gaming News thread.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24th December 2016
swon's Avatar
swon swon is offline
aka platform
 
Join Date: 13th August 2010
Location: platform
Posts: 6,706
Rep Power: 27 Points: 6508
swon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
UL: 308.22 mb DL: 33.28 mb Ratio: 9.26
if the prob occur in all graphics card then card is not likely the problem. this can also occur due to less refresh rates, high brightness, more blue light (can occur especially if monitor is old one).

anyway rule out thyroid issues its easy and nowadays routine checkup like testing sugar, cholesterol etc. if want to cut cost of checkup then only need to do the TSH test.

also if monitor is pretty old one then replace it with eye friendly one. benq range monitors are really good ones in this regard. they have flicker free feature, low blue light mode (after ultra violet rays blue light is next harmful rays for eye) and newer models even have auto brightness mode. also choose a black matte finish one including body. glossy ones avoid.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27th December 2016
mst_i's Avatar
mst_i mst_i is offline
Requiescat In Pace
 
Join Date: 3rd January 2006
Location: City 17
Posts: 2,529
Rep Power: 29 Points: 859
mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
UL: 3.89 gb DL: 3.34 gb Ratio: 1.16
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swon View Post
if the prob occur in all graphics card then card is not likely the problem. this can also occur due to less refresh rates, high brightness, more blue light (can occur especially if monitor is old one).

anyway rule out thyroid issues its easy and nowadays routine checkup like testing sugar, cholesterol etc. if want to cut cost of checkup then only need to do the TSH test.

also if monitor is pretty old one then replace it with eye friendly one. benq range monitors are really good ones in this regard. they have flicker free feature, low blue light mode (after ultra violet rays blue light is next harmful rays for eye) and newer models even have auto brightness mode. also choose a black matte finish one including body. glossy ones avoid.
Thank you.

Any other possible causes apart from those stated above.
______________________________
Do visit, rate and rep my Gaming News thread.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th December 2016
swon's Avatar
swon swon is offline
aka platform
 
Join Date: 13th August 2010
Location: platform
Posts: 6,706
Rep Power: 27 Points: 6508
swon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
UL: 308.22 mb DL: 33.28 mb Ratio: 9.26
i again repeat test your thyroid function, dry eyes is the starting symptom especially among computer users. its easy to misdiagnose for many years at beginning. going to eye doctor or replacing computer components not usually give relief if its related to thyroid. and yes it only occurs when using computer or more profound when use dedicated graphics card as eyes need to workout more.
______________________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 1st January 2017
mst_i's Avatar
mst_i mst_i is offline
Requiescat In Pace
 
Join Date: 3rd January 2006
Location: City 17
Posts: 2,529
Rep Power: 29 Points: 859
mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
UL: 3.89 gb DL: 3.34 gb Ratio: 1.16
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swon View Post
i again repeat test your thyroid function, dry eyes is the starting symptom especially among computer users. its easy to misdiagnose for many years at beginning. going to eye doctor or replacing computer components not usually give relief if its related to thyroid. and yes it only occurs when using computer or more profound when use dedicated graphics card as eyes need to workout more.
Thank you, would do the same.


Mod(s) may please close this thread.
______________________________
Do visit, rate and rep my Gaming News thread.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 1st January 2017
swon's Avatar
swon swon is offline
aka platform
 
Join Date: 13th August 2010
Location: platform
Posts: 6,706
Rep Power: 27 Points: 6508
swon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autographswon has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
UL: 308.22 mb DL: 33.28 mb Ratio: 9.26
hi, please update your thyroid results (TSH value) as it will be useful to others who experiencing same.

also the reference range given might not be correct usually then give .5 to 5.0 but actually normal range is in between .3 to 3

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:00 PM.
Page generated in 0.02048 seconds